Due to popular request, here’s one more special end-of-summer episode celebrating music from past camps and festivals. We hope you enjoy it; it was really a joy to go back through the archives and put this together. We’ll be going back to our regular format next week. If you want to reach out, you can reach us at starsintherafters.com. If you enjoy the podcast, considering joining our new community of supporters on Patreon. Take care, everyone.
1. Beeswax Sheepskin – This recording was made standing in the woods at Pinewoods Camp outside of the main dance hall, C Sharp, at dusk, listening to the sounds of the birds and the evening dance happening. Recorded by Julie Vallimont at ESCape!, 2019.
2. Allie Crocker’s Reel / Lamplighter’s Hornpipe – Two rousing New England tunes, as performed by some of the Maine Fiddle Camp staff: Lissa Schneckenburger, Alden Robison, Benjamin Foss, Bennett Konesni, Corey DiMario, and Julie Vallimont. Recorded at Maine Fiddle Camp August Week 2, 2019.
3. We Shall Be Known – This was recorded at the All-Camp Chorale, a beloved feature of Harmony of Song and Dance Week at Pinewoods, 2019. Taught by Rani Arbo, written by Karisha Longaker.
4. The Hop Ground – Julie Vallimont and Aaron Marcus played 4 hands, 2 pianos for English Country Dancing at the Lavender Country and Folk Dancers (LCFD) May weekend, 2019. The caller is Graham Christian. Recorded by Chris Ricciotti.
5. Constant Billy – Another selection from All-Camp Chorale, at Harmony of Song and Dance Week at Pinewoods, 2017. This English song was the earworm for the whole camp all week! Taught and arranged by Alex Cumming (Medford, MA).
6. Mr. Pixton of Brookline (4x32R) – Hanneke Cassel, Calum Pasqua, Susan Worland, fiddles; Tom Pixton, piano; Barbara Pixton, bass; Mike MacNintch, pipes. From Live from C Sharp, an album recorded by Tom Pixton at Pinewoods during the 2010 Scottish Sessions. https://www.pixton.org/livefromcsharp/index.html
7. Abbots Bromley Horn Dance, American style – A live recording from the last night of TradMad week at Pinewoods Camp, 2015. At Pinewoods Camp, the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance is a special moment. During the evening dance, the action on the dance floor pauses, the lights go out, and strains of a haunting tune can be heard approaching through the woods as ethereal costumed dancers emerge from the trees, clashing the deer antlers they carry in a ritualized dance that ends as mysteriously as it began. Recorded by Edmund Robinson.
8. It Is Time to Go Now – Matt Norman taught and arranged this traditional English song to All-Camp Chorale at Harmony of Song and Dance Week at Pinewoods, 2019.
9. Happy Trails – Happy Trails is always the last song that campers and staff sing together at the end of Maine Fiddle Camp. Led by the camp director Doug Protsik in 2014. Recorded by Amanda Witman.
Produced by Julie Vallimont. Mixed and mastered by Dana Billings. All content courtesy of the artists, all rights reserved. This series is supported in part by the Country Dance and Song Society, NEFFA, and Pinewoods Camp. If you enjoy this podcast, please consider supporting it via Patreon: www.patreon.com/starsintherafters