In this time of stress and difficulty, sleep can be a restorative place where we can retreat into our inner world, connect with our spirit, and get a brief respite from the cares of the world. Yet a lot of us have found our sleep disrupted this year. And it’s sometimes hard to leave the day’s stresses behind. So this episode is devoted to songs and poems about sleep and nighttime. To that end, we have music from Wild Asparagus, Elixir, Eloise & Co., and Cindy Kallet. Julie reads poems by Sir Charles George Douglas Roberts and Rumi, and Ben Williams reads a poem by John Crowe Ransom. Take care, everyone.
1. Wherever You Go When You Sleep – Wild Asparagus (MA and VT). This song, with words by Keith Murphy and music by David Cantieni, is on Wherever You Go. Wild Asparagus is Becky Tracy, David Cantieni, George Marshall, Ann Percival, and Stuart Kenney. http://band.wildasparagus.com
2. Nocturne, by Sir Charles Douglas George Roberts. Read by Julie Vallimont (Brattleboro, VT).
3. Middle of Night – Elixir. Kate Barnes wrote this waltz when she was experiencing insomnia. This track is from Elixir’s second album, Rampant. https://elixirband.bandcamp.com
4. Darkness, by John Crowe Ransom. Read by Ben Williams (Northampton, MA).
5. Lady Night – Eloise & Co. (Brattleboro, VT). Eloise & Co. is Becky Tracy and Rachel Bell. This song, by Noah VanNorstrand and Kailyn Wright, is on More, Please! https://eloiseandco.bandcamp.com
6. Night and sleep, by Rumi. Read by Julie Vallimont (Brattleboro, VT).
7. Cold is the Night – Kallet, Epstein, & Cicone (MA and IN). Ellen Epstein & Michael Cicone requested that Cindy write a song for the trio to sing. One bitterly cold winter night, stopped by the side of the road, and atop the hood of her car on the drive from Amherst to Boston, Massachusetts, she obliged. www.cindykallet.com
The opening music is “The Pearl in Sorrow’s Hand” by Julie Vallimont, from her album Dark Sky, Bright Stars. Produced by Julie Vallimont. Mixed and mastered by Dana Billings. All content courtesy of the artists, all rights reserved. This series is supported in part by the Country Dance and Song Society, NEFFA, CDS-Boston, and Pinewoods Camp. If you enjoy this podcast, please consider supporting it via Patreon: www.patreon.com/starsintherafters