This week, we have music from Andy Davis and family, Crowfoot, Mary Lea, and Becky Tracy. Ben Williams reads an excerpt from The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, Julie reads a poem by Naomi Shihab Nye, and Charis Boke reads a poem by Ghalib. Joy and sorrow always come hand in hand, but this year a lot of us have felt that more than ever. While we might be tempted to run from it, sorrow is a universal feeling, and can allow us to gain a better understanding for others and be more connected to the human experience. Sorrow only deepens my gratitude for the joys of my life. As always, you can reach out to me at starsintherafters.com. Take care, everyone.
1. Villagers All – Andy, Robin, Arthur, and Emma Davis; and Emma Schneider (Brattleboro, VT). Andy writes, “Here is a song that we have sung at the Brattleboro Christmas Eve pub sing over the years. Our family created this virtual performance this year. Words by Kenneth Grahame from The Wind in the Willows, music by me.”
2. Joy and sorrow, an excerpt from The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran. Read by Ben Williams (Northampton, MA).
3. North: Northern Air – Crowfoot (VT and QC). Crowfoot is Jaige Trudel, Adam Broome, and Nicholas Williams. This track is from their 2005 album Nadajai. www.crowfootmusic.com
4. Kindness, by Naomi Shihab Nye. Read by Julie Vallimont (Brattleboro, VT).
5. El Sueño de la Muñaquita – Mary Lea (Brattleboro, VT). Steve Proctor, Keith Murphy, and Ralph Gordon play this waltz by Paraguayan composer Augustin Barrios Mangore on Mary Lea’s album Between Two Worlds. https://dancefiddler.com
6. For the raindrop, by Ghalib. Read by Charis Boke (Springfield, VT).
7. Evergreen – Becky Tracy (Brattleboro, VT). Becky plays this Keith Murphy waltz on her eponymous solo album. https://blackislemusic.com
The opening music is “The Pearl in Sorrow’s Hand” by Julie Vallimont, from her album Dark Sky, Bright Stars. Produced by Julie Vallimont. Mixed and mastered by Dana Billings. All content courtesy of the artists, all rights reserved. This series is supported in part by the Country Dance and Song Society, NEFFA, CDS-Boston, and Pinewoods Camp. If you enjoy this podcast, please consider supporting it via Patreon: _www.patreon.com/starsintherafters